Mel understands that divorce or other family law litigation is a very difficult and challenging time in an individual’s life. Mel works closely with her clients to develop goals and effective strategies to reach those goals. She is caring and responsive to her client’s needs.
Mel joined the firm in February 2016 as an associate attorney. Before joining Bruning & Associates, P.C., Mel was employed at a Crystal Lake law firm in which she primarily practiced family law.
During law school, Mel clerked for the Honorable William E. Alexa of Porter County Superior Court #2 in Valparaiso, Indiana. She also clerked for the Illinois Association of School Boards and interned with Thomson Reuters in Rochester, New York.
Prior to law school, Mel interned with U.S. Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand of New York in Washington, DC and The National Group, LLC, also in Washington, DC.
- McHenry County Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Triple AAA – BNI
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society
- While at Valparaiso University School of Law, Mel received the Honors A for the highest grade in Pre-Trial Skills.
- Founders Scholar Recipient at Nazareth College of Rochester
- Illinois Supreme Court
- JD, Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana, 2013
- BS, Nazareth College of Rochester, New York, 2009
- Divorce and Family Law
- Parental Responsibilities (Custody)
- Parenting Time (Visitation)
- Child Support
- Maintenance (Alimony)
- Post Decree
- Orders of Protection
- Domestic Violence
- Traffic Law